Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

hi kaia

i have made simple uas

82f35162.jpg

request correction from you

I didn't see the air bubbles on the screen, bubbles are essential for algae to grow.
Also if you want, you can build a reflector for the light, so that most of the light won't get wasted.

kakatua

the uas already has air bubble,but only in the center of the screen
in the right and left screen dont have air bubble..
can it make algae grow in the screen?

how can i build diy reflector?
because reflector so expensive

sorry my english so bad

Last edited:
the uas already has air bubble,but only in the center of the screen
in the right and left screen dont have air bubble..
can it make algae grow in the screen?

how can i build diy reflector?
because reflector so expensive

sorry my english so bad

If the bubbles are only in the center, then algae will only grow in the center.
I wonder if your screen is roughen up, make sure the screen is rough enough.

For reflector, simple aluminum foil will be good for home DIY reflector.\

BTW, your English is great. :)

i already scretch it on asphalt until it rough enough

but until today no algae grow on it
think i will fail make the uas..

Here are the things that you need to adjust to make it work. Also check the updates for more information.

Screen material:
1)You have used the wrong material for screen. Use plastic canvas as the algae screen. Remember to roughen it up properly.

Lighting:
The light needs be at least 1 watt per square inch (6.25 square cm). The link of your bulb does not fit the screen. Make sure you have enough wattage and use a reflector to focus all the light to the screen. For the fluorescent bulb you have, it needs to have a spectrum 2700K-3000K. Try to use a CFL spot light. Your light needs to be as close to the screen as possible.

Bubbles:
3)The bubbles need to distributed through out the screen evenly for algae to grow. The best way to do this is by slicing the air tubing. Make sure that you have a good air pump so that the bubbles constantly flow through the screen.

Put the pictures of the things you want to use before you make it again.

Here is the new update:

Screen material:
1)Use plastic canvas as the algae screen. Remember to roughen it up properly using a wood saw or hole saw. You can get plastic canvas at craft store (under sewing section) or sewing store or online at places like www.everythingplasticcanvas.com or ebay. Screen should look like this:

http://algaescrubber.net/ScreenHoleSaw.jpg
http://algaescrubber.net/CanvasCompare.jpg

Lighting
2)The lighting needs to be 1 watt per square inch (6.25 square cm) of screen material. A 3 by 4 inch screen is 12 square inches not 24. Make sure you have enough wattage and use a reflector if the light doesnot focus on screen. For fluorescent bulbs, it needs to have a spectrum of 2700k-3000k. For LEDs, it needs to be red 660nm. You can cut the wattage in half if you are using LED lights. In order for algae to grow, make sure that the light is on for 18 hours a day. Here are some bulbs and reflector type:

http://algaescrubber.net/CFLtypes.jpg
http://algaescrubber.net/BeerCan.jpg

Bubbles:
3)The bubbles need to be rapid and large and distributed through out the screen evenly for algae to grow. The best way to do this is by slicing the air tubing. Make sure the air pump is good so that the bubbles can constantly flow across the screen for 24 hours a day. This is why you need bubbles:
http://algaescrubber.net/WhyBubbles.jpg

kakatua

hi iris,where is kaia? haha

ok, i will make thε new uas...
but i dont have any biota in my tank
does it affect to the uas?

my tank is still in cycling process

Last edited:

kakatua

my uas size is 15 x 20 cm
so i must use 48 watt for fluorescent bulb or 24 watt for led ?

and space in my sump is only can accommodate 7 cm width lamp.
can led light fit on it?

and i dont have hole saw ini my home,
can i use another thing to make it rough enough?

Last edited:
my uas size is 15 x 20 cm
so i must use 48 watt for fluorescent bulb or 24 watt for led ?

and space in my sump is only can accommodate 7 cm width lamp.
can led light fit on it?

and i dont have hole saw ini my home,
can i use another thing to make it rough enough?

How big is your screen size? The lighting needs to be 1 watt per 6.25 square cm of screen material.
LED light can fit in almost any space.
If you don't have hole saw, try to get a metal brush and rub the screen to make it very rough.

Here are the requirements for building a UAS.

Screen material:

1)
Use plastic canvas as the algae screen. Remember to roughen it up properly using a wood saw or hole saw. You can get plastic canvas at craft store (under sewing section) or sewing store or online at places like www.everythingplasticcanvas.com or ebay. Screen should look like this:

ScreenHoleSaw.jpg

CanvasCompare.jpg

Lighting

2)
The lighting needs to be 1 watt per square inch (6.25 square cm) of screen material. A 3 by 4 inch screen is 12 square inches not 24. Make sure you have enough wattage and use a reflector if the light doesnot focus on screen. For fluorescent bulbs, it needs to have a spectrum of 2700k-3000k. For LEDs, it needs to be red 660nm. You can cut the wattage in half if you are using LED lights. In order for algae to grow, make sure that the light is on for 18 hours a day. Here are some bulbs and reflector type:

CFLtypes.jpg

BeerCan.jpg

Bubbles:

3)
The bubbles need to be rapid and large and distributed through out the screen evenly for algae to grow. The best way to do this is by slicing the air tubing. Make sure the air pump is good so that the bubbles can constantly flow across the screen for 24 hours a day. This is why you need bubbles:

WhyBubbles.jpg

alum

Does CO2 will reduce PH too ? how to cope that ?

ScreenHoleSaw.jpg

What is that tool name round like a wheel in the center of the screen ?

Last edited:

alum

Looking great!
I had a problem with evaporation of water in my tank!
This is make me some ideas.

Thank's Irish.

NB: Where is Kaiya ??? from now on your name is Iris ?? hehe..
How many people work on Santamonica?

Members online

No members online now.

Poll

• Koral saja

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ikan saja

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Koral + Ikan

Votes: 8 100.0%

Forum statistics

Threads